Friday 3 June 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #23: Spring roll

 OK so... ok so... normally I can find spring roll wrapper sheets in big Tesco but they seemed to be out of them EVERYWHERE. So i looked online and they had this recipe for making 'em sorta crepes style, where you put a really thin layer of batter in a pan. Sounds hard to get right. But... then guess what arrived the other day in the mail!? A little square tamagoyaki pan my mum sent me! I guess its a sign. I decided to just do a really small batch, just enough to see if this works and get something for this challenge but spare me slaving away on the hob all afternoon.

Bonus pic outside of the challenge me making the wrappers! I started with oiling up the pan really good but that would make the batter separate when cooking and they came out too thick just to seal the holes. Then i tried without oil and they came away surprisingly easily! I also found brushing it on with an oil brush worked well, you could get them really thin then... By the end i thought i was nailing it, but i was actually making them too thin and cooking too long so after i'd let them dry they were way too crispy! I only made 5 in total.

Peel the shrimp!

It's easier and cheapest to just buy cooked and peeled prawns around here, especially if i dont need them to be that big.

Chop up!

Guess ill chop them up even smaller, why not. I chopped them BEFORE i put them in the pan of course.

Slice up!

Bamboo from a can again.

Slice!

I guess ill slice them up even smaller like in the game

Chop up!

3x bamboo chopping combo

Separate sprouts!

These come trimmed, so the only separating i need to do is chipping enough off a frozen block of them i jammed in my freezer!

Add the ingredients!

We mix up a sauce to go in the filling. Oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sugar.

Saute!

My ingredients are all pre-cooked so we are mainly trying to cook off the excess water, and then we add in the sauce and fry till that thickens up enough to not leave a massive puddle in the middle of the pan.

Make spring rolls!

I used my best wrap first and its working! The other wrappers... well not so much...

Deep fry!

Looking good! These are my best ones. The others... well, let me just say im really glad I have this mesh bucket.

Finish!

****

Soo, yeah, as you can see, making your own wrappers is maybe above my difficulty level for the time being. However, next time I do find spring roll wraps, I will probably use this recipe for the fillings again because these were delicious! I didn't even make a dip because of how flavourful the sauce and bamboo shoots were.

No comments:

Post a Comment