Tuesday 2 August 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #47: Hand-rolled sushi

aka. Temaki. I went and sneakily did this recipe way ahead of its time so that I could use up the open bag of seaweed nori before it went stale. Or soggy. Stogi.

Measure and add!

Had about 1/3 bag of sushi rice to use up, so I measure "tip it all in"

Measure and add!

Some water lol I just fill it up till it looks right in my steamer bowl

Wash some rice!

ummm swish swish??

Set the timer!

Our MVP steamer machine and the only one who does any real work around here.

Make sushi rice!

Some recipes have sugar and salt but this just has a splash of rice vinegar and fluff it around a bunch.

Roll the sushi!

Western style sushi haters avert your eyes!!! In the game they had tuna sashimi and fish roe, but thats super hard to get so instead I opted for smoked scottish trout, seafood sticks, avocado slices, and a bit of mayo with the seafood sticks.

Finish


****
Well I'm pleased! My hand rolling skills were fairly adequate. And it makes for a really enjoyable lunch food. It's not my absolute favourite way to eat sushi and I definitely wish it was easier to get sashimi in this... prosperous island country... but I think my "California style" adaptation was a good use of the recipe and I'm pretty into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment