Saturday 14 October 2023

Stardew Valley #15: Glazed Yams

Ingredients: Yam, Sugar

Item Description: Sweet and satisfying... The sugar gives it a hint of caramel.


So luckily ya girl knows a fair bit about fine american cuisine, enough to know that glazed yams probably refers to candied sweet potatoes. Got a 1kg bag of sweet potates, the darkest of dark brown sugars. I'm also adding on recommendation of most recipes, some butter and some cinnamon and nutmeg spice. A lot of recipes also reccomend a bit of orange or lemon juice, but im going to be a little bit weird and try adding a splash of fancy cider vinegar i bought from down south. I think it will add a more savoury kick that should be ok considering this is technically a baked vegetable dish.


First we gotta peel 'em all. Should I use the whole bag? Eh might as well, what else am I gonna do with them.


Then we can chop them up into nice sized chunks. A good size for forking, but small enough that they dont take forever to cook.


Now a lot of the recipes seem to reccomend mixing together the glaze on the hob, so I guess i might as well. We've got the butter, sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, and just a dash of the cider vinegar. Smells like spiced apple pie!


Now I just pour it on and toss them around a bit to make sure they're coated. 


Then I pop it in the oven with a tin foil lid for 40 mins, checking a few times and flipping them around with a spoon to stay moist. After about 10mins I realised it was still staying very liquidy, at the bottom and probably wouldnt dry out or thicken much at all, so I cooked it without the tin foil for the remaining 30.


*****

Tasty! The vinegar's sourness might not be to everyone's tastes if they're used to a sweet puddingy dish but it was fine by me. The spicy and caramel-y glaze really penetrated the vegetables and it was very moreish, also smells amazing. Glad I made an entire 1kg because I feel like i could easily eat 1kg of these! Probably won't in one meal though.. but like I probably could...

No comments:

Post a Comment