Thursday 15 September 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #60: Shrimp Wonton

After my last dumpling disaster here's hoping this one goes a lot better. Not only do I have THE CORRECT type of wonton pastry for these, but they also remain in the soup so hopefully i cant accidentally destroy them in my steamer. Hopefully.

Peel the shrimp!

FOILED AGAIN by already peeled shremps, jk i hate peeling prawns it takes ages and the micro ones are cheap

Chop up!

Im also going to FORGO the traditional use of a knife and try these in my veg chopper because we need them nice and minced anyway.

Add the ingredients!

Strangely, this seems to insist you also add a handful of "mince" to the recipe so im opting to add some pork mince, since dim sum seems to use pork mince a lot. We also add grated ginger, an egg white and some soy sauce.

Knead!

Just mixing it up a bit. With the raw pork in there we've got to make sure its boiled long enough to cook thoroughly! Raw prawns would have been a good idea then really but oh well.

Fold the wonton!

These are a nice simple folding that even I can manage! But oh god theres so many... and I already started this recipe late after work and shopping... ill just start cooking a batch of them while I finish making the rest and save a bunch for later... 

Stew!

Now we stew them in a clear broth made with chicken stock, soy sauce and salt. I feel like the salt is a bit overkill so I didnt put much in, both store bought chicken stock AND soy sauce are very salty already. I also added a cheeky half-sachet of dashi stock as well as a chicken oxo cube, to maybe bring in some umami and seafoody flavour. Going to make sure I boil this at a high temperature for a good while to make sure the pork is cooked!

Finish!

***

Yoo I did it! I made some dumplings that were good and held together for once! Despite the crinkly floppy appearance, it is basically just ravioli in texture. The flavours were very pleasant but a little simple for my tastes. Next time i would probably like to add some spring onions, herbs, and maybe something sweet and sour. And some crunchy side dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment