Sunday 14 January 2024

Stardew Valley #29: Cookie

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Sugar, Egg

Item Description: Very chewy.


Cookies! We like those. The description says very chewy, and I think I usually make quite soft buttery ones, so im going to google for a chewy recipe and just use the first one that comes up.


It's cold so my butter hard like my feelings, maybe we should melt it gently in a bain-marie? (like my feelings)


The recipe says half white and half brown sugar, I have the most delicious malty brown sugar, as we learned in the pie recipe, it smells so good. Might be a bit intense for choc chip cookies, but we'll find out.


Once it's melty enough we can whip it all together


Once thats mixed we add some wets, we've got an egg, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a whole teaspoon of salt!? Ok you're the boss recipe.


Crikey that makes a difference doesn't it. The power of egg!


Now for the flour, and a teaspoon of baking soda. I feel like the ratio of flour to sugar is kinda low on this one, I guess that will make the cookies more chewy.


Now we fold in the flour instead of power-whisk it. It's that something something gluten structures again. I don't know I'm not a bread scientist.


Now we bust in a load of chocolate chunks! I prefer bar chocolate to chips, as they typically need less stabilising agents so theyll be less waxy. I normally put dark chocolate in cookies, but for some reason I feel like Evelyn, (the canonical recipe keeper in stardew valley's world) seems like a milk chocolate kinda gal to me.


The recipe actually says to chill them 30mins-10hours if possible. I want em for tonight so they've had about 3 hours to chill, then we scoop em out onto baking paper and cook them in the oven for 15mins.

****

Oops I kinda overcooked these. I should have been more on the ball really, my oven is nice and powerful. They're dry and crunchy on the outer rim but on the inside they are indeed very chewy. They melted a lot and came out very flat. They're nice, but I'm pretty sure ive made better. They are a bit oily and sugary to me, I think next time I would use more flour and less sugar, and i'd use more white/golden sugar rather than the dark stuff. And I would definitely keep an eye on them and take them out sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment