Wednesday 7 February 2024

Stardew Valley #38: Rice Pudding

Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Rice

Item Description: It's creamy, sweet, and fun to eat.


I think I tried rice pudding once as a kid, I didn't like it. But that was a long long time ago. Since then i've become a big fan of the worlds staplest grain. Donburi, pilaf, paella, risotto, egg fried rice, rice crackers, mochi... LOVE the stuff! Can't get enough! Is there anything rice can't do? Let's find out.


We got the real deal proper stuff: some british short grain pudding rice, sugar, and then a bay leaf and nutmeg for a subtle flavour.


Now we're cooking it all in milk instead of water! A good bit more milk than how much water i'd normally add, as its supposed to come out all soft and mushy.


Then its gotta check for... lemme ask the internet... TWO HOURS!? Wow. This is a perfect job for my steamer though. We can stir it halfway through since it only goes up to an hour.


2 hours later, stirred it up to check, and that looks right to me? It looks great, all saturated and creamy. Puddingy.


**

It's creamy, sweet, and not much of a treat. I tipped back out about 2/3 of what i portioned for the photo (back into the bowl for leftovers not in the bin!) because i just wanted a light dessert. After just a couple mouthfuls I already feel kind of nauseous. Was my dinner bigger than i realised? Did I do something wrong? (feel free to let me know!) Or is there just something about this combination of overcooked milk and mushy rice... ? Maybe kid me was right... maybe rice pudding... against all odds..  just kind of sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment