Saturday 5 March 2011

Can't-be-arsed Carbonara

Mode: Solo
Hardware: Pans
Accessories: Someone else's cola.

I always thought spagetti carbonara was more of a fancy pants italian cooking type gig, because it requires a shit ton of parmesan. That was until I saw a tub of 'BASICS GRATED HARD ITALIAN CHEESE' in the supermarket yesterday. Is this really a viable alternative to buying quality ingredients? Let's find out! It's time for a low budget production of pasta carbonara.


I like to put on the TV when i'm cooking, and Glee was on. I'm going to watch an episode of Glee because everyone loves that show, and I'm like, what's the deal? I put the pasta to boil in a pan, chopped up the pork-related ingredients and put them in another pan.


The sauce should be about 50/50 milk (or cream) and grated cheese. So that's like 1/2 a cup of each.1 egg, and a pinch or two of rosemary. Ah, rosemary. I knew you were good for something.


Now, the point of carbonara is that you cook the shit out of your meat. You practically set it on fire. But don't actually set it on fire because there's probably a smoke alarm in the building unless you are a terrible person. But it's cool because it makes the salami go all DELICIOUSSSS and salami is already delicious.


Argh, I stepped in some mysterious floor water! True story.


Then when everything is ready you throw it all together in a pan. That's right, it takes like 10 minutes of just combining the ingredients with eachother and adding heat. Also I think traditionally, you make carbonara with spaghetti or linguini. But tradition is for lesser beings who don't have the perfect amount of Spirali in their cupboard.


Conclusion: Yeah, I still don't get Glee. Maybe I just don't like highschool related television. Oh and the carbonara, let me put it this way, it's like macaroni cheese (mac and cheese for you wacky americans), but with MEAT. It's even prettymuch as easy to make as instant macaroni cheese. And like ten times less gross. Also, fancier ingredients will make a better pasta for sure, but it's Saturday and I'm alone in the flat, and I just invented a bachelor(ette) grade adaptation of an italian classic. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment