Friday 10 June 2011

Nasi Goreng: The Third Rice.

Mode: 1-2 player
Hardware: Steamer, Pan.
Accessories: Fruity Jews from Concentrate.

Good cook, bad taste. That's me.

Nasi goreng is the indonesian equivalent to all those other meals that actually just mean 'a bunch of stuff thrown together in a pan with rice.' Like Jambalaya, Curry, Chop Suey, paella, etc.


So I've got a pack of pre-cooked mixed seafood, a long sweet pepper, spring onions, and some lettuce instead of cabbage, cause it was on sale. I also have some AUTHENTIC DUTCH nasi goreng sauce. It's kinda interesting to note that indonesia is to the netherlands what india is to the UK. We kinda invaded it 'for the queen' at some point, and now they provide us with most of our convenience food.

Anyway, so I put some rice in the steamer for 20 minutes before I did anything else.


I chopped and put all the variabjetables (that's a word I made up in secondary school, true story) in the pan with some oil.


Ding! The rice is done. I don't have any saffron, which is the stuff that makes rice yellow. I added a little bit of paprika and nutmeg to make up for it.


I added the rice and the seafood and the nasi goreng sauce to the pan. I read somewhere that you can basically make a good equivalent to kejap manis (pronounced KA-CHOP MY KNEES) using just soy sauce and ketchup.



Post-Mortem: I seem to have a bad way with frying rice. It never comes out all tough and oily like in chinese takeout (for better or worse?), it tends to be more... sticky and smashed up like a soggy couscous, possibly due to my overzealous loving abuse I give to everything. Like that Lennie guy from Of Mice and Men.  ***

2 comments:

  1. Gotta rinse the rice in water before cooking if you don't want it to stick - see how much loose rice flour comes out in the water

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already rinsed it when I bathed it in hot water in the steamer.. I think maybe I just overcook rice, and don't use enough oil.

    ReplyDelete