Friday 4 August 2023

Stardew Valley #3: Salad

Ingredients: Leek, Dandelion, Vinegar

Item Description: A healthy garden salad.


So, the problem with Stardew Valley's recipes is they're very big on seasonal ingredients, but unlike in videogames, a seasons take a whole real life god damn year and whos got time for that? As of when im writing this up, its the middle of summer and there are NO DANDELIONS, but the good news is dandelions are super bitter which is why they dont sell em all year round in bag salad. So we're going to be taking some liberties as usual.


If you ask me, rocket leaves look fairly similar to dandelion leaves and this is all ready to go, no bugs probably, very foragey gardeny type of vibe, very good.


Now I learned my lesson recently that leeks, at least around here, are honestly quite big and tough to eat raw, so im going to opt for some spring onions aka "salad onions" to get a very similar flavour, and some actual herbs from my garden! a pinch of mint and chives. GARDENY


Its gonna look very green (and kinda bitter) compared to the sprite so im adding in some chopped tomatoes and a pinch of sweetcorn. (on top of the chopped onion and herbs)


Now for the "vinegar" dressing. I think cider vinegar is the most crisp and "gardeny" flavoured vinegar to me, and im gonna make more of a proper dressing out of it by mixing it with olive oil and mustard (and ill just crank some pepper straight on the salad)


Here's my secret technique! I have a tiny little jam jar to put all the components in, then i can just shake em up and drizzle em on. cute eh?


****

Hard to mess up a salad. To me the oniony, minty and peppery flavours totally remind me of the flavours of foraging around a simple garden, and then its balanced nicely with the sweetness of the corn and the sourness of the tomato and vinegar. I mean i nailed it, but it's not THAT exciting though.

No comments:

Post a Comment