Sunday 6 August 2023

Stardew Valley #6: Parsnip Soup

Ingredients: Parsnip, Milk, Vinegar

Item Description: It's fresh and hearty.


Good news! Parsnip season has just begun and I got a bag of neeps. I'm a little worried about the other ingredients though... milk and vinegar...? Don't those... yknow.. famously not get along? I've decided to use cream instead, because thats a more common soup ingredient and it might minimise the curdling issue... maybe.


First I peel and chop the parsnips to help them cook faster.


I'm gonna start by baking them with some oil, a little sugar and salt, and even though I want to keep the flavours fairly pure and parsnip-y, I think a little bit of cumin seeds will compliment the flavour nicely.


After about 15-20 mins these are looking tender enough. And they smell great!


Next im going to whizz them in a blender with a bit of water. I don't really have a good idea of how much water to add so im just gonna keep adding water until its thick but not, like, mashed potato thick.


Here it is currently looking mashed potato thick. Nice. Reckon we can add some more hot water.


OK now im going to add in the cream and the cider vinegar. How much? uhhh i dont know. A bunch. 3 tablespoons? Something like that?


***

I think it did actually curdle a bit in the end, but the parsnip is so starchy that it hardly matters. Parsnip has such a unique flavour, and although I think I would make it differently next time, I am quite content with this. It's unusual yet tasty and comforting, would pair very well with some roast chicken or anything curry flavoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment