Thursday 27 July 2023

Splatoon 2&3: Complete!

  At a mere 12 recipes across 2 games, this was a super speedy cooking challenge! A nice break from the mushroom-heavy mario menu, Splatoon 2&3 was a grease trap full of deep fried seafood and futuristic vaguely-pacific-inspired cuisine. I think the worldbuilding really comes across in the dishes, much like the game its decadent dressing floats above a dystopian and chaotic world. Damn that's deep. ...fried.


Things I learned:

- You could do a lot worse than tempura prawns with chocolate sauce.
- You can get soft shell crabs, and you can eat them whole!
- Tempura prawns are not a suitable replacement for hot dog buns.
- Sean uses too much sauce, Marigold doesn't use enough.


Total Ratings:

*            x 0
**          x 2
***        x 4
****      x 5
*****    x 1

Average score: 3.42


Favourite Recipe: 

Splatoon 3: Crab-N-Go #1: Crab Trap Sandwich

The less overstuffed version of the Crab Trap sandwich was a wonderful fusion of crispy and goopy, tangy and salty, greasy fried goodness. If I were to make it again there's definitely a few tweaks to be made... I might use a corn tortilla or something, or just forgo bread entirely and have yakisoba with egg and tempura and lemon juice.




Least Favourite Recipe:

Splatoon 3: Crab-N-Go #5: Mega Mountain a la Marigold

I don't regret the combination of ingredients I went for in the end so much...I feel this was just kind of inevitably going to be a bit of a bust for me. I'm not really a big fan of wet chips in gravy as it is, and I had this mountain of pretty decent but ultimately very beige and stodgy food, the type of food that doesnt really get better as leftovers, to get through. Also this wasn't mentioned in the write-up but as I was eating a portion of leftovers for lunch I accidentally dropped the plate and then cut my hand on the plate shards and had to spend my lunch break cleaning blood and potato salad off my kitchen floor (very metal i know) so I guess I also have bad memories of this now. Say goodbye to the weird red plate an old housemate left with me as you'll never see it again.


Special thanks:
Special thanks to the following resources:

splatoonwiki.org
My lovely family even though they avoided being roped into this one.
Tobi who has volunteered to compute the scores in spreadsheet forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment