Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Breath of the Wild #49: Glazed Veggies

Ingredients: Any Vegetable, Flower, or Herb, Courser Bee Honey.

Description: "Don't like the taste of vegetables? Simply saute them in honey for a salty-sweet flavor!"


Looks like we're all souped out, into the honey era! I've got some leftover swede from... I don't even remember when... A pak choi, a sweet potato, some chives. Now for the honey, i figure i can mix in whatever I want with that, to compliment the sweet honey with some more savoury and spicy flavours.


I know from experience the swede takes ages to cook and stays quite hard, so this time im going to boil it before I fry it! Same with the sweet potato, which i've peeled and chopped here.


Oh... I left this boiling for ages, the swede feels just right but the sweet potato... its waaaay soft. Like wow, I thought it took a long time to boil like potatoes?


The sweet potato has totally disintegrated and turned to mash! Oh well. I sautee these all in a bit of oil and generously sprinkle on chilli flakes, salt, chinese 5 spice, dollops of umami paste and a big drizzle of honey! Oh and before I serve, ill chop up a bunch of the chives and throw them in as well.


****

Im learning new things about vegetable cooking times... I really thought sweet potato would be tougher and need that boiling... Well! Consistency aside, the umami and chinese 5-spice flavours really pop off. I dont think the trio of textures is particularly appealing, but if you just did the swede/squash with the honey chilli 5-spice and chives that makes a great go-to side dish

No comments:

Post a Comment