Thursday 16 November 2023

Stardew Valley #23: Bread

Ingredients: Wheat Flour

Item Description: A crusty baguette.


A simple bread! how hard can bread be? It's main ingredient is flour, but as usually its a bit of a lie because quite critically you need yeast and a bit of water. And most recipes recommend a pinch of salt and/or sugar.


I'm following a recipe that says to make a sort of yeast slurry first. I've put the yeast and a pinch of sugar in warm water... maybe too warm tbh... uh.. i guess we'll find out.


then we sift in half the flour and the pinch of salt.


Now we're supposed to leave it for a while until its "doubled in size"


Left it for an hour.. uh... has it... gotten bigger? Maybe a little. I know it doesnt look it in the photos. It'll get another while to rise when we've added in the rest of the flour.


Now I can get to use my mixer with the dough hooks!


Alright we have a rough ball of dough. We can leave it to rise some more for a few hours this time. It's kind of a cold day too.. but whatever.


Looks like it's risen a fair bit! It still feels a little denser and lumpier than I think it should... maybe I should check the expiration date on that yeast... ah... yeah it expired 6 months ago. Oops! Well its probably fine.


I've folded it a bit and twisted it into a baguette shape. I still don't think it should look quite this dry and lumpy but maybe it will even out in the oven?


spoiler: It didn't really even out in the oven. Still, its mostly risen and tastes just fine so i'll have it sliced up with a load of cheese I have leftover from the pepper poppers recipe. NICE


**

I mean, bread is bread it tastes good, but its a little tough and chewy. Also just look at it. It's not a very good bread. It looks like a tsuchinoko with a skin condition. I should have cooked it a lil' longer, kneaded it a lil more, and most importantly, checked the expiration date on the yeast. I feel sorta bad as there's obviously nothing wrong with this "recipe" in theory, I just sort of flunked it, but I also don't want to do it again because I can go and buy a plain baguette for like 50p at the shops. So suck my baton de pain, big yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment