Saturday 24 February 2024

Stardew Valley #41: Autumn's Bounty

 Ingredients: Yam, Pumpkin

Item Description: A taste of the season.


It's october as I write this, who knows when I'll post this, but I felt it would be right to do "a taste of autumn" right at the height of autumn. For the pumpkin i've picked a random seasonal pumpkin/squash, for the yams I figured pumpkins and sweet potato are kind of alike in look and flavour, so I thought it would be fun to get some red potatoes instead. And then some other very seasonal produced to round it out. We only seem to get fresh figs in a brief window round here, and brussels sprouts season has just started, though that'll continue for another 4 months or so.


Ah, this is... a lot less orange than I was expecting. Looks like we've gone from 2 typically orange ingredients to none, but oh well no matter. It will still taste like pumpkin.


Time to dress it up with some seasonal seasoning. I've gone for olive oil, fresh rosemary, ginger chilli & peppercorn mix, salt, and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses. Then the 2 halves are going in the oven.


While the pumpkin gets a headstart on cooking, we deal with the potatoes. I'm gonna make wedges with these. I heard somewhere you should rinse the extra starch off of potatoes before you bake them so I've done that and patted them dry.


Next im gonna add a slightly different seasoning to mix it up. Going for jamaican jerk and paprika salt, with more oil.


These can go in for a good half hour or so befor we bake the rest.


Oh, you know what I almost forgot about!? What's a variety of baked vegetables without some chunky garlic cloves?


Once everythings looking nice and soft and toasty, we can assemble it all onto a big plate. (not forgetting the figs!)

****

A little less classically orange than we had intended, but it still looks like a fun taste of the season. It's definitely a great gimmicky dish that would make a perfect sharing starter or something. Lots of variety of delicate flavours that all go together pretty well, though I think i should have bust out some sort of cranberry jam or onion chutney or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment