Monday 5 September 2011

Malay way or the Thai way.

Mode: 2 Player
Hardware: Steamer, pans, tupperware.
Accessories: Cup of coffee

Had a mostly full can of coconut milk leftover from the cakes. I figured I better find something to do with it before it expired and probably stank up my fridge, if coconut milk even does that, I actually don't know.

Yet.

Anyway, so I decided to make a coconut-based curry sauce and save it in the fridge for later. I quickly looked at the ingredients for a Thai green curry, and figured I could bodge together something along those lines.

Concentrated lemongrass is like a lemon party in your mouth.

In a brilliant twist, I had also gotten given some fancy pastes and spices for my birthday, and that included a nice little jar of concentrated lemongrass. So I heated up a pan, added some oil (this is gonna be dairy free, kids) and added all the coconut milk, a small teaspoon of lemongrass, a teaspoon of pickled ginger (that I chopped up) all my leftover spring onions, a couple pinches of chicken stock and a pinch of pepper.

I don't even like regular marmalade.
Now, all of the recipes seemed to cite using fresh lime leaves or lime zest. I don't have either of those things. But what I do have is this jar of lemon and lime marmalade that I also used for aforementioned baking. That will also take care of the sweetening aspect, so I don't need to add a tsp of sugar.

When you're finished with it? Discardamom.
Feeling like a bit of cardamom might help make this taste more curry-like, but I didn't want to be trying to fish cardamom pods out of an opaque liquid. So I tried crushing them up, and then putting them in a TEA INFUSER and dropping that in the pan. Some women in their early 20s experiment with lesbianism, but for me, it's unadvised kitchen practices.

Now you're imagining unadvised lesbian kitchen practices.

I reduced it down to a saucy state, and put it in the fridge for later.

*LATER OCCURS*

Now it's Monday, and my flatmate is back so it's time to cook something non-dairy and non-half-assed-bowl-of-mashed-up-leftovers for dinner.

The spatula was also a birthday present. Thanks Bro!

Put some white rice in the steamer, and fried up some chicken and onions. Once that was cooked I added in the sauce. I couldn't help but notice my Thai curry didn't have little green bits in it. I didn't have any shredded lime leaves or whatever, so I added peas instead.

Peas: the other green.

Lookin' good, ladies.

Chicken and rice are definitely lesbians.

Post-mortem: ***** Even better than I expected! I've never tried something like this before, it definitely tasted like a good sauce with a nice blend of flavours. So lesson learned: don't discount putting lime marmalade and tea strainers into things.

No comments:

Post a Comment