Sunday 18 August 2024

Delicious in Dungeon #6: Living Armor Full Course Meal

This one's several meals in one! The living armor is cooked in 4 different ways, but im going to cut it down to 3 because the grilled and steamed ones are effectively the same, with one being better than the other.


Haha idiot, you've been toppled. But its a hollow victory, as there's nothing in this armor...


OR IS THERE!??!

I've never cooked oysters before, and I also got these at an incredible discount close to the sell by date (lucky!) and frozen them so im not going to take any chances, ill probably just grill them all the same way and the incorporate them into the dishes.


After cleaning and defrosting them in warm water they were really easy to open with a butter knife... i thought it was a whole technique I might have to battle with but nah, its just a big clam aint it? Or maybe its harder when they're alive which... i dont want to do.


The recipe says to season them with soy sauce, vinegar and salt. Fancy ingredients so might as well bust out the fancy soy sauce.


Just a little dash of each... soy sauce is already salty, I hope i didn't oversalt them. I hate over-salted seafood. And they're ready to go in the oven while I make all the other stuff.


For the dwarf style stir fry, I've got some medicinal kale from my garden! Which the aphids have really been going to town on, I scrubbed off a lot of bugs... Whatever, we're already eating weird stuff.  For the detox herb ill use brown onion, and for the SPECIAL SAUCE i've got something special in mind! A massive bottle of tamarind sauce i bought on a whim a while back. It's kinda like brown sauce I guess? Sour, spicy and sweet.


Chopped the kale up a bit smaller and I think just half an onion sliced into strips will do.


Adding more ingredients! I want to add a bit of sesame oil to the frying for a cheeky bit of extra stir fry flavour. 


Oh and my secret back up weapon! Since there weren't that many oysters I thought i'd pad out the stir fry with a handful of mussel meat as well.


the onion and mussels can go in first for a bit.


Then add the kale and the special (tamarind) sauce..


It also says to season this with salt and pepper... I used a dash of soy sauce instead of salt.. 


Now for the soup! It says to use more herbs and soy sauce for the soup, but honestly... I dunno... I don't wanna..  So I had a better idea! I have a bunch of instant miso soups to pick from! I've just actually started learning some japanese recently. I think we've got some dried wakame (seaweed) and um... uh... erm... the packets green. Green flavour.


Here's what it looks like before we add boiling water and stir it around.. and thats the soup sorted! That's everything ready and then we just take the oysters out and assemble them!


Living armor dwarf style stir fry!


Living armor soup! (it sank to the bottom when I put it in)


Grilled living armor!



****

Whoa... I... I did a good job...? This was a really nice varied meal! All the different flavours and scents: miso, seaweed, tamarind, vinegar and soy sauce paired really well with the oysters and eachother. You get a nice range of textures with the slippery seafood, the crunchy stir fry, and the...soupy soup. Compared the the mussels in the stir fry, the oyster was a lot less "meaty" and a little more like.. scallop or something I guess. I suppose im still glad this didn't make enough for leftovers and im not rushing out to buy more oysters any time soon... but as a healthy novelty meal i enjoyed this more than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment