Friday 30 August 2024

Delicious in Dungeon #9: Naturally Delicious Treasure Insect Snacks

Danger! Deception! Treasure! Insects!


So i tried to get a bunch of shiny and colourful fruits for this.. I got strawberries, blueberries, white grapes (cotton candy variety) and to really sell it, a packet of mini gems which is a classic british gummi sweet.


And I guess we're just gonna... throw em all together and try to jam them? I've just followed my instincts and done a couple handfuls of the fruit and a handful of the sweets. I think we want a very rough and lumpy jam, so ill just see how this goes. If it's anything like cranberry sauce itll sort of break down. 


Adding a bit of water and a few tablespoons of sugar. It doesn't really have to be proper jam, in fact maybe it'd be better if it doesnt set or break down too much...? after all, I want it to be sorta runny for the next recipe actually..? Maybe we want more like a kinda coulis type thing..? 


Its getting quite frisky already, don't want to dye my whole kitchen purple so ill let it simmer for an hour or so.


Ah but it's not just jam we're making, we got another whole variety of snacks to make! For the centipede skewers im going with grapes, and then...


My secret weapon, some sort of food safe pearlescent cake lustre i got years ago.


Hmm it says its meant to be all rainbow, but it kind of just looks dusty and white to me. I expected a bit more shimmer and sparkle... I guess maybe theres a slight shimmer to it? Still, i don't hate the effect.


For the coin bug crackers...im just giving myself a break!! I've bought some rice cracker discs that look perfect.


I've held back some fruits so that we can hopefully add some colour and shapes back into the jam jar at the end... if that even matters.


And of course, that homemade bread I made last recipe! I actually put them in the freezer already cause theyll go stale in like 1 day. So i've got one out and microwaved it.


****

Mmm! Kind of a strange meal to have. Very sweet and heavy. No surprises here, but the jam tastes kind of gummy-sweet-ish... a strange mixture of berries, grapes and weird vegetable starches used in the sweets. Tangy enough to balance out the sweetness and goes great with the bread. It's not set like a proper jam but its satisfyingly thick as a sauce, so just like how I wanted it. The skewers were sweet and fine, and the crackers (sweet chilli flavour) were a delicious and welcome savoury side.


I agree with Senshi's complaints that it doesn't really feel like a balanced meal. But i'm pleased with the result on every front.

No comments:

Post a Comment