Monday 26 August 2024

Delicious in Dungeon #8: Freshly Stolen Vegetables and Chicken Stewed with Cabbage Accompanied by Plundered Bread

 That title sure is a mouthful... and so is this recipe! Buckle up.


Bloody orcs in my kitchen plundering all my veg. And whats that, yeast? What do you want yeast for?


Fine I will make bread... pray for me im bad at bread.


Using a simple online recipe, we add strong bread flour (500g flour to 7g of yeast! Thats gonna make a lot..) 2tsp salt, and then warm water and 3tbsp of olive oil. Im using proper olive oil this time, the good stuff.


Mix it up with the dough hooks, knead it a bit by hand, and then ive started this a day early so i can leave this to prove overnight in the fridge!


here it is the next day, cool. I guess i just knead it a lil more and then roll it into balls...


I want to make it a tear and share style loaf like what senshi makes... i don't know how much these will expand, is that spaced out enough? We'll find out.


Right while thats in the oven we've got more action for the oven! I got a tub of chicken wings, and i'll season them myself. Brushing them with more oil. The recipe says they use salt & pepper and cayenne pepper, ill add those and also some smoked paprika because I think that will go a long way to a "red pepper" flavour.


I'm grilling these instead of stewing them with the veg. They're served in top so it just makes sense to me, i can make sure they cook properly, keep their shape and get a nice crisp skin.


Right, now it's time for that plundered veg! There's quite a bit, I got 3/4 of a cabbage left over from last recipe, 2 onions and 2 carrots. And for the crepes, I don't want to make crepes... ISNT COOKING 3 THINGS AT ONCE ENOUGH!? instead I want to use delicious corn tortillas. That sounds easier AND better. 


Chopping it not too small so we get some decent crunchy strips to fill out the tortillas. Half the cabbage and 2 onions. Yep thats already a lot.. a lot of veg that gives me gas... ill try and crisp it up a bit before i add water to stew it.


The carrots in there as well, and then im seasoning it with the same stuff as the chicken (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika) and plenty of it.


I'm also just finely chopping the last 1/4 of the cabbage, as the manga shows the crepes garnished with some sort of extra raw greens. I can also probably use the rest for something else later.


Oh and now for my secret cheats weapon. This is a big meal, so I kinda want it to be... yknow, flavourful and good. And also use up some leftovers in my fridge! So i'm using a leftover half-jar of "smoky tomato & pepper pasta sauce" and a heaped teaspoon of pickled garlic. I think this is well within the vibes and spirit of orc cooking, leaning into the smoky pepper and homecooked flavours. Oh don't forget to add a bunch of water as well, its a stew not a stir fry!


When everythings almost done, I pop the crepes tortillas in the oven just for like a minute to heat them up.


Oh right the bread!! remember we were making bread as well? I sure didn't, my whole kitchen is as hot as an oven right now. Why did we even need to make bread with this when theres tortillas? Plot reasons... Also I guess these have stayed fairly spaced out and not merged very much, but thats fine too. They look a bit tough, but cooked through.


After stewing for aaages on the hob, this is looking right!!


Chickens done too, its all coming together! I've also sliced a single pickle for the garnish in the picture.


Bread check! Looks reasonable.

*****

What a beast of a meal! I'm so tired. I almost wanted to mark it down for how hard I had to work for it, but......... damn it, i gotta admit... it tastes amazing. The wraps, wings and bread roll create a very feast-like sensory experience, as its really best to eat with your hands (apart from scooping the veg into your tortilla!) enjoying a wet crunchy taco, nibbling the meat off a wing, and then tearing up the bread roll to mop up the excess juice from the stew.


Maybe, unlike me, you should make this when you have a few other people around to do some of the work. A couple of hot orc babes maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment