Tuesday 1 October 2024

Delicious in Dungeon #16: Grilled Kelpie

Kelpie, huh.... The horse of the sea. But not a sea horse... its very confusing.


Looks something like this, definitely not a pokemon. Anyway we have to grill and eat its liver speficially.


Horse meat is somewhat taboo in this country, but I managed to get some lamb liver which is perfect, and they cook a whole array of cuts but i don't want to get into allll that so heres just some more regular lamb meat. I guess its loin meat, which is the lower back. Since its a very seaweed-y animal, ive got some kaiso salad for the mane and im going to be seasoning it all with some dried seaweed flakes!


Got some veggies too! I'm going to lightly cook them while i heat up my oven's grill.


OK that was a bad idea, I guess cabbage cooks kinda unevenly. Should have just boiled or sautee'd it i guess? I don't want to eat it raw though.


 I'm chopping up the liver to try and get it in thin strips, its like a bunch of odd shapes though. And then I'm seasoning them with a spritz of cooking oil and some salt & dried seaweed mix, to make it more... aquatic. Also I guess it doesn't smell as bad as beef kidney, thats nice.


It's coming along in the grill, onions still taking forever though. I know this dish is more designed to do on like a tabletop barbecue, but... i dont have that and I don't wanna.


Same as the kidneys, ive chopped the lamb chops into smaller strips, and seasoned with seaweed, and with the bone bit separated it's kinda like having a big range of cuts i guess. Once its all done we can plate up!

**

It's... its just ok. It looks quite appetising, and the loin meat is delicious and juicy. The livers are ok, the flavour is fine and the meat has a dryer, gamier texture. The plain unseasoned onion and burnt cabbage were boring and the kaiso (seaweed salad) is nice on its own but it didn't pair well with anything else. I wanted to have a dip, but i didn't know what to have so i tried a few things: mayo, sriracha, brown sauce... eh, nothing really stuck. I wish i had like a chinese style peanut or sesame dip?

No comments:

Post a Comment