Thursday 17 October 2024

Delicious in Dungeon #20: Let's Cut The Red Dragon Cutlets

A deceptive recipe - these cutlets are FOR cutting the red dragon, the red dragon hasn't been cut yet!


It's still at large.. somewhere nearby... so what are we cooking today?


It's the leftover giant frog thigh! And we're going to coat it in breadcrumbs and fry it, served on a bed of sautee'd onion in wine sauce.


Heating my mini-fryer. Please excuse the mess of dishes, its been a busy damn day. I'm so tired i don't even want to do this recipe right now but I defrosted the meat already so we're locked in. We can do this.


I drained off the excess moisture from the frog thigh (theres a lot, has someone been injecting these frogs?) and we season them with salt & pepper and dust them with flower. I'm doing the worlds sloppiest job by just doing it all in a plastic ice cream tub. It ain't stupid if it just about works ok.


Senshi doesn't use egg in this recipe, but I did coat it in egg next as a binding agent to make it easier (and forgot to take a picture) and then coated it in breadcrumbs. Because it's not a breast fillet its a bunch of de-boned thighs, the meat is all loosely connected lumps we've kinda rolled up and tucked together, so I have to do this carefully to try and keep in a rough cutlet shape.


The recipe has a bit of butter in the sauce, but i still have this leftover lard from something and I actually think itll go alright in this dish.


Meanwhile the chicken is frying away! We started this early because I have to do them one at a time in my dinky fryer. Lets give it a bit longer, these fillets are so thick.


Sliced onions and a clove of crushed garlic go in the frying pan with the lard! This might also help cut through the sometimes-nauseating smell of the deep fryer.


Once thats browning nicely I add a pinch of sugar, a drizzle of soy sauce and a splash of red wine and cook it until its reduced into a wet pile of onions.


Yeah, like that! Once the cutlets are all done it's time to plate up! 


*****

I was so tired hungry maybe I would have eaten anything but... I think this worked out perfectly.  I was just relieved the cutlets weren't raw in the middle. I hadn't prepared for the mysterious garnishes pictured in the final image, so I grabbed some carrot greens from my garden. The red wine onions worked so well as a flavourful companion that I didn't add any other sauces! I still think maybe breast meat works better for cutlets, but... well, maybe not frog ones?  I was so tired when I made this today... but next recipe i'll be ready to kick a dragon's ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment