Saturday 30 April 2011

Cottage Pie: What to do with a whole lot of discount mince.

Mode: 1-4 player
Hardware: Pans and Oven
Accessories: Cola

Hello there, I am a british person. I make savory meat dishes with names like 'pie' and 'pudding' that bewilder the residents of other countries. And JOLLY GRAND it is to do so my dear boy. Tally ho! What ho? Your sister.


According to wikipedia, the difference between cottage pie and shepherd's pie is not in fact whether or not you use sheep or cow mince. I'm kinda dissapointed and confused, myself. What IS the difference then? NO IDEA!? shut up and peel some potatoes. And boil them.


After a little while, put on some chopped onions and all the mince and cook those up. Because Flanders is outta town I used butter instead of olive oil. Also because I forgot to get more oil.



Here I got a beef stock cube, and made a mixture of equal parts worcester sauce, balsamic vinegar, dark soy sauce, and tomato ketchup, with a pinch of of salt and pepper. Once the beef stock is sufficiently dissolved, or more accurately, kinda lazily mushed up into something more mixable, I added it to the beef and onion. Also added some garlic too.





Both the meat and potatoes are looking about done here, so I mashed up the potatoes with a little splash of milk, and grated some cheddar cheese. Then I got my biggest glass oven container... thingy. Putting the mince in first, and then mashed potato, and then grated cheese on top. Kindof like a lasagne for morons.



Stick it in the oven for about 20-30mins, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd mission complete.



Post-Mortem: I vastly underestimated the amount of potato one needs for that amount of mince. I barely got that badboy covered. Still, the mince tasted good and... well, mincy. ****

1 comment:

  1. When I was little, cottage pie was made of mince with a pastry cover, and for some reason you put half a boiled egg on top of the mince under the pastry. My reaction - yecchhh.

    ReplyDelete