Thursday 7 April 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #6: Grilled Gyoza

 Grilled...? Gyoza?

Slice up!/Chop up!

Grabbed just a handful of cabbage from the freezer and diced it up. Trying to coordinate having the right fresh ingredients with minimal waste is a whole thing I'm up to.

Chop up!

1 clove of garlic. I have a garlic press, but it says to chop it so eh, why not.

Add the ingredients!


Grabbed about 200g-ish of minced beef, the cabbage and garlic, drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Knead!


smush it all together

Fold the dumplings!


OK so not pictured was a whole ordeal right. I couldn't easily find gyoza wraps so I figured I'd actually just make some myself. So I prepared the worlds driest simple flour + water pastry, rolled it out till all the bones in my hands hurt, cut circles with a big cookie cutter, and voila! This is actually kinda... working?

Cook amount told!


I'm not sure Mama knows what grilling is. This is steaming/frying gyoza in a shallow pan of water. 

Finish


****
Thought this was going to be a disaster. Every time I make pastry I remember that I hate pastry so much. Then the gyoza were sticking to the pan and I was worried they were all gonna eat shit. Couple of them did but as you can see they're largely intact, and they cooked through just fine. Made a simple dip of sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar and worcestershire sauce to go with which I recommend. Maybe I'm not better than Mama but at least I know what a grill is.

No comments:

Post a Comment