Saturday 9 April 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #7: Salisbury Steak

 I think in Japan this is called a HANBAGU. They adopted the traditional European style Hamburg steak from before the besandwiched version came along and dominated.

Slice an onion!

The game shows 1 onion, but I'm gonna do 2 because mine are quite small.

Slice!

Just following the game here, this one's padding it out a lot.

Chop up!

I do dig this technique for dicing onions, I used it regularly ever since I first played this game. Cutting up not quite all the way in one direction, and then it holds together as you chop it all in the other direction. Pro strats.

Melt the butter!

Using my wok today because my flat pans in the wash. Wok could go wrong?

Saute!

Wiggle them around the pan until they are brown.

Add the ingredients!

Yes ya bitch had some stale bread I was saving for this and grated a chunk of it. We are taking beef mince and adding the fried onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg and... some? milk..? I just sorta drizzled a couple tablespoons cuz I got no idea. 

Knead!

Oh god beef fat all over hands, why is washing fat off your hands the worst.

Make shape!

Yeah! Shape!!!

Pan-fry!


Ah shit I didnt get a pan pic, use your imagination. Things were getting mad chaotic up in here, trying to cook 3 giant burgers without setting the smoke alarm off or letting them crumble into dust. They held together alright, but probably woulda been easier if I diced the onions even finer or used more breadcrumbs?

Arrange the plate!

Yes that's right. YES THAT'S RIGHT. I bought some broccoli and mini creme caramels and found a tiny flag just for this. Also some organic ketchup in place of a tomato slice. Smashed it mate.

Finish



***
OK full disclosure I feel like I may have undercooked it slightly. I know medium & rare burgers are a thing, but I think biting into a fillet of not entirely well done mince is gross and slimey. And for a much fresher meat than what I was probably working with here a day after I opened the pack for the previous recipe. I will give the other two burgers a lil' extra when I reheat the leftovers. As for the broccoli, I steamed them and then seasoned them with butter, salt and swahili lemon pepper so they were fantastic, and the creme caramel juice pairs weirdly well with the burger actually, though I wouldn't let it touch the ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment