Thursday 19 May 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #16: Chestnut Rice

Chestnuts couldn't be more out of season over here, but tide and mama waits for no.... time.... ??... anyway I trekked over to Waitrose and they had some there! Pre-cooked and whole, no less!

Measure and add!

pretending to measure blah blah blah anyway rate my set up, mamas on a bin and im doing a load of laundry

Measure and add!

my bag of rice had a tear in it so its in a soup cup

Wash some rice!

I washed this earlier and let it soak . BTW the game didn't specify but I'm using sushi rice because that seemed like the type you'd use for something like this.

Add the ingredients!

Just dumped in the whole bag of chestnuts, some sake and soy sauce. Swished it around a bit but yeah it all just goes straight in the steamer and cooks with the rice.

Set the timer!

Mama said 40 mins! I thought that seemed a bit long so I checked on it after 30, but it did indeed need 40mins. Fair play.

Finish


***
I love sticky rice, I love chestnuts. The flavourings paired nicely together... and yet... it still felt like it was missing something. Vinegar? is it vinegar? it's vinegar isn't it. Would that be gross with chestnuts? I probably should have used mirin instead of regular sake that might have done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment