Monday 8 July 2024

Stardew Valley #81: Moss Soup

Ingredients: Moss

Item Description: It's thick and slimy, but edible


Moss soup!!! Easy.
What? You don't want to be food? Fine... maybe I can make some sort of alternative...


So when I first started this challenge... there were 80 recipes. But some busy game developer couldn't resist... they had to add just one more new recipe in a recent update! I don't think I can get any sort of edible moss, but I did find a recipe for a sea moss soup that im going to take inspiration from, though i'll be changing it so much you can hardly call it the same dish.


Let's start with peeling and cubing a bunch of potatoes, both regular and sweet potato.


Thats already quite a bit! These will take the longest to cook so im going to start boiling them in the water already and then slowly add everything else.


Peeled ginger and garlic ill just blend into a paste.


This is quite a bit of ginger, but its gonna be a big soup.


And then for the other spices: a cube of chicken stock, turmeric, allspice and orange pepper. Hopefully this will give it an interesting caribbean style flavour, making it different from our many, many other soups. Especially algae soup.


These black eyes peas are classic Caribbean and South American veg, and they're already pre-soaked so they wont need anywhere near as long as dried ones. I'll add about 4tbsp.


A tablespoon of honey! How medicinal.


Now im gonna throw in... this whole entire bag of spinach. I really wanted to get okra to make it "slimey" like the description... I even walked all the way to waitrose, but they were fresh out ;_; The recipe I am following has a little bit of many things including broccoli and cabbage... but I just want to use up the greens I bought and not have a ton of leftovers.


Gonna chop these up loosely, so we can really fill this soup out with goopy green clumps. What? It's moss soup! Its gotta be all.. goopy green clump-y


The algae is back, as our last attempt at a satisfyingly moss-adjacent ingredient. And because I still have loads to use up.


And lastly, some chopped green chillis i put in at the end so that hopefully they can be visible and look a bit like okra...? And a drizzle of olive oil. The more non-starch, non-grassy flavours we can get the better I think.


*****

Wow!!! I accidentally made something great again. It's so powerfully ginger-y and spicy, and the sweetness of the honey and sweet potato gives it this tropical summery flavour somehow. It's fiery and medicinal, yet tasty, satisfying and well balanced. Would make a great soup for when you've got a cold. Sometimes its good not to stick to the brief of making something... merely "edible".


cannibal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment