Monday 3 October 2011

That's what sushi said!

Mode: 4 Player
Hardware: Pan, Steamer, Sushi rolling accessories.
Accessories: Vodka and 7up.

I went out on a magical journey to Manchester and brought back a fellow warrior, EMERALD SAGE who loves the animals, but not so much on a plate. I wanted to show her my awesome ability to make vegetarian sushi. And also non-vegetarian sushi. Oh, also noodles.

Segregated for their own benefit.
We delegated a sidequest to her Bee-Eff to pick us up some food items while I prepared some sushi rice in the steamer. In the mean time, I got bored and started chopping vegetables for it. So far all I got is pickled beetroot and mangetout.

I'm still suspicious about whether or not bayleafs do anything.
Prepared a noodle soup stock thing to cook the noodles in. Cant really remember what I put in this. Lotsa soy sauce, some bean paste, salt and pepper, a bit of coriander and ginger I think?

Ramen-Ra, appointed by his noodly appendage.
Noodles go in! I'm gonna try juggling cooking noodles with making sushi and hope I don't burn anything.

Also booze. Hi mum!
Hooray! Our buddy has returned with the goods we require to continue. We've got prawns, salmon, spring onion, shiitake mushrooms, a cucumber.

Yes everyone, that is a Duckula egg cup.
Here's the set-up I handed to Emerald Sage, I taught her how to roll sushi nori.

...filled with vinegar.

You get the seaweed wrap, put the rice and fillings all on one edge, like so...

This is how we roll.
Then you roll it up using the bamboo mat to aid your evenness and grip, and seal the end by moistening it with some rice vinegar. You then chop it with the sharpest knife you can find. Good luck with that, though.


Since the salmon we got was uncooked fillets and not smoked, I stuck that in the steamer for a while while we made the vegetarian rolls.

Cooked the shiitake out of them.
Here's the noodles cooking well, they get spring onions, mangetout and shiitake mushrooms. I was gonna fry them separately to put on top, but I ended up nearly burning them so I mixed them in the noodles instead.

The game genie of cooking.
Here's another way to roll sushi things... in a funky little sushi roller gadget! Doesn't work so great with seaweed though.

Still quicker than making a pie.
I then assembled all our creations, and as you can see for comparison, a vegetarian and non-vegetarian meal side by side.

Post-Mortem: ***** Looks snazzy. Tastes snazzy, vegetables or non. I love me some sushi. I think the others liked it too.

1 comment: