Sunday 24 July 2011

Gammon Aftermath 2: Stew

Mode: 2 player
Hardware: Pan.
Accessories: 3 and a half glasses of water.

I was on holiday last week, and nobody really asks for me to cook because everyone else in my family is like me but actually better. Also I am absolutely atrocious at writing this article its taking me like ten years. OK lets get on with it.


Today's a sunday so I have time to leave things cooking for like 2 hours so I'm gonna do exactly that and make a stew with some of the leftover gammon. Here's some water with vegetable stock, black pepper, sage, and a bay leaf.


In go the meat and some chopped potatoes. The meat is already cooked, but only partially defrosted so they go in for like, an hour or more on low/medium heat (below boiling) and then theres loads of time to tenderise. Oh I also added in carrots then but they are not pictured for some reason.


Later, I tasted the stock and DAMN was it salty. Gammon is so damn salty. Why did I ever buy this much in the first place? Anyway, I need to do the best I can to fix the flavour. I added ketchup, a splash of lemon juice, some sundried tomatoes, some worcester sauce... I think that's it. Also, frozen peas. Another half hour or so to reduce and by that time the meat was tender and the consistancy was perfect.


Post-Mortem: ** If this wasn't gammon this would have been the perfect stew. The consistancy was really good, the meat was super tender, and the flavours were good. Unfortunately, gammon is not awesome. The stew was not awesome. ANTI CLIMAX.

No comments:

Post a Comment