Monday 4 July 2011

Gammon fillet with fried beetroot and pine nuts.

Mode: Like, ten meals.
Hardware: Oven, Pan.
Accessories: Apple and Strawberry Squash

So, do you ever make those occasional life decisions where 20 minutes later you're like. 'Man, what was I even thinking?' Yesterday I did one of those. I was like, hey, it's a Sunday. You know what I haven't cooked for my blog in a while? A MASSIVE hunk of meat. Muslims, Jews and Vegetarians (you thought I'd forget you!) please avert your eyes.


It's an aporkcalypse.

This was about the maximum amount of food that I could possibly carry home with my crappy girl arms. Shame there's only me and Flanders to feed. I should have thought of that. And of the STARVING FOREIGN-COUNTRY CHILDREN THAT COULD HAVE BENEFITED IN SOME WAY IF I DIDN'T BUY THIS FOOD FROM THE GROCERIES. I actually kinda stared at it for a minute thinking... man, what should I even put on this? Would a marinade or glaze even be worth it? I just kinda gave up thinking and put it in the oven for three hours.


Slightly less than 3 hours later, I gathered the rest of necessary ingredients. Not a whole lot needed, really. I couldn't even find any un-pre-cooked beetroot, but this made it real easy for me.


I grated the beetroot and put it into fry with the pine nuts and some sesame oil. As I peered into the pan it occurred to me that it wasn't a whole lot of side-dish, so I put some oven chips in the oven as well. I'm not going to show you how to make oven chips. Come on, man.


Post-Mortem: ** You know what the really awful thing is? I don't think I even like gammon ham that much. It's so salty. It's just... really salty. I like to bathe it in ketchup.
As for the rest of the meat (pretty much most of it), it was real damn easy to carve up, and I've portioned it out into 4 separate bags that contain about a meal's worth that I can freeze and use for recipes in the future. Expect a bunch of various ham-related dishes in the near future. Also maybe next time I'll think to make some kind of sauce or gravy.

1 comment:

  1. I'd recommend dry frying the pine nuts first to make them toasty and brown (don't leave as they burn really easily if you don't stir or shake the pan. Tip themn in a dish and cook the beetroot, then toss the pine nuts on top.
    Some people like to cook the ham in water first to take away the saltinessm then bake it. Marmelade or sugar and mustard on top make a great glaze.

    ReplyDelete