Monday 13 June 2022

Cooking Mama's Cooking Challenge #28: Pan-fried Batter Cake

 Better known as okonomiyaki.

Break an egg!

Aww its a smiley face. I may have gone overboard with the size of this bowl but its got a poury spout and im gonna need to mix it so mayhaps not.

Add the ingredients!

So it gives no clue as to the proportions of egg to flour, and it also looks very different in the next minigame. I looked it up and recipes online vary a lot but i get the impression about half a cup of flour should be alright. And i just gave it like a couple tablespoons of water.

Mix!

I dunno why I got chopsticks, pivoting to a whisk for this its way better.

Slice!

Already had some cabbage in the freezer. Or possibly pak choi. anyway ill use about half of whats in here.

Chop up!

The game has you dicing cabbage here, but i also need to slice up this streaky bacon. The game calls it "ribs" but once again, looking it up, it seems like thin cut pork belly or just streaky bacon would be perfect.

Add the ingredients!

This recipe really has localisation issues in general. It says to add the ingredients to "seeds". But im pretty sure "seeds" is actually the batter mix.  Anyway so we add a handful of cabbage, sliced bacon, and small prawns.

Pan-fry!

OMG I actually did it. I flipped this bitch. I used the pan-to-plate-to-pan method, which is wicked hard because all my plates are weirdly heavy but I DID ITTT

Draw freely!

Busting out this dynamic duo again! Okonomiyaki sauce is, once again, basically the same as takoyaki sauce. And we got mayo which is another commonly used topping.

Finish!

***

Yeah its alright. It was hard to cook it evenly actually, even with the heat fairly low. The cabbage and bacon added nice flavours. But I dunno, its kinda like a quiche or spanish tortilla I guess. You could probably improve it by cooking the bacon till crispy before adding it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment